1. [14 points] There is someone in your life who has taught you something. Using the social media platform of your choice, thank them for what they have taught you. Be sure to tag them in the post. To earn points, submit a screenshot of your post to your team’s album.
2. [49 points] Have a twitter account with more than 2,000 followers tweet their support of the Starfish Foundation. They must mention your team name and tag @starfishchange. Upload a screenshot of the post to your album and put a link to the tweet in the description. The tweet must be active at the time of judging to receive points.
3. [40 points] Each person on your team must take a picture wearing or holding something that represents where they live (city, state, or country). Collage all the pictures into one image and add your team name.
4. [10 points] Put on your Starfish shirt and write a letter or e-mail to your favorite teacher from high school or middle school and send it. While we cannot know whether or not you actually sent the letter / e-mail, karma will catch up with you if you do not.(If you cannot mail or e-mail your teacher, but can connect with them via Facebook, you may send them a FB message instead).
5. [36 points] Take your pet to work (or school) day. This must be a picture of an actual live pet in your place of work (or education). Show your pet hard at work and working well with others.
6. [36 points] Find a quote about the importance of helping others in the religious text of your choice. Write it as large as humanly possible in chalk (or some other removable substance) in a public place. It must be at least 20 feet by 10 feet when completed.
7. [19 points] Carve a starfish into a pumpkin, squash, or other gourd of your choice.
8. [45 points] Have the social media account of another organization share one of Starfish’s blog posts to their account. Upload a screenshot of the post and include a link to the post in the description. The post must still be active at the time of judging.
9. [10 points] All you ever need is in arm’s reach. Find a personally impactful quote that, when printed, perfectly fits your wingspan (fingertip to fingertip). Quote must be legible in the photo.
10. [30 points] Find something (book, movie, tv show, CD) created by an Ecuadorian and read/watch/listen to it. Write a review for it on Amazon. Submit a screenshot of your review.
11. [61 points] Find a person on another team who lives in a different country from you. Send them something that they cannot find/buy where they live. Caption your photo (when uploaded) with the name and team name of the person you sent it to, as well as what country you both live in.
12. [35 points] [Video – up to 1 minute] Explain why you love the Starfish Foundation in English. Wear your starfish shirt.
13. [35 points] [Video – up to 1 minute] Explain why you love the Starfish Foundation in Spanish. Wear your Starfish shirt.
14. [66 points] Ecuador is the home of the equator – the line that separates the Northern and Southern hemispheres. In honor of this “dividing line”, take a friend and stand on the border between two states, provinces, or countries. You may also stand on the Equator or the Prime Meridian. One of you must be holding a sign that says “Starfish crosses borders and unites us”. Bonus points if at least one person in the picture is doing a handstand.
15. [52 points] Create an image of a famous Ecuadorian from history using only objects found in nature. Caption the photo (when uploaded) with the person’s name and why you chose them.
16. [55 points] Create a survey with the following text at the top: “The Starfish Foundation believes in the importance of education as a catalyst for future success. It provides scholarships and mentoring to students in financial need.” Your survey must determine the favorite school subject of your followers and friends. The exact wording of your question and the choices you provide are up to you. You must have at least 100 respondents. Submit the results.
17. [49 points] Gather at least 5 friends. Each of them must paint their nails in the Starfish colors (blue or yellow). Using your hands (or feet) create a starfish shape. We must see the painted nails on each hand or foot.
18. [20 points] Wear your Starfish shirt while donating canned goods to a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, or immigration center in your home town.
19. [68 points] Hold a book drive and collect at least 10 books for children or young adults. At least 2 of the books must be written by Hispanic or Latino authors. If in the United States, donate them to Better World Books or the Pajama Program. If in Ecuador, donate them to the Starfish Foundation. If no one on your team lives in either the US or Ecuador, you can donate them to the children’s charity of your choice. Submission should be two pictures collaged together – 1 of the stack of books with the titles facing out, and 1 of you dropping off the donated books in a designated location.
20. [29 points] Paint a picture of the Starfish logo on a bald human head.
21. [54 points] Using chalk or removable non-toxic paint, write a math or physics equation on the rump of a horse, llama, goat, camel, donkey, or other four-legged pack animal. (Remember to never stand directly behind any animal.)
22. [56 points] [Video – at least 30 seconds; no more than 1 minute] Create a stop motion video telling the Starfish story.
23. [16 points] Have an elementary school aged child write down why they love school. Take a picture of what they wrote and post it on Instagram with the hashtag #educationchangeslives and tag @starfishchange… To receive points, take a screenshot of your post and upload it to your team’s album on the Facebook page.
24. [40 points] The Teal Pumpkin Project aims to raise awareness about food allergies. Collect a series of non-food items that can be given out to trick-or-treaters on halloween, then paint a pumpkin teal and put it outside your door. Submit 2 pictures side by side – 1 of your non-food items to give out at halloween and 1 of your painted pumpkin.
25. [47 points] Put on your favorite halloween costume and help a neighbor out with a chore – raking the leaves, doing dishes, walking a dog, hanging up the laundry – the choice is yours!
26. [57 points] [Video – 5-10 seconds] Find individuals playing futbol (soccer) or another team sport in a public park or field. Create signs and cheer for them. Make them feel like all-stars!
27. [55 points] [Video – 10 seconds] Give a friend a handlebar ride on a bike, sing Bicycle Race by Queen or La Bicicleta by Carlos Vives together whilst doing so.
28. [26 points] [Video – 15 seconds] Make a commercial for Starfish.
29. [21 points] Every year, the Starfish Foundation participates in March Madness with a bracket challenge. A lot of participants were disappointed when Villanova was knocked out early. Standing in a basketball court hold up a sign that says “We’re sorry Villanova. Maybe next year.”
30. [18 points] Put on your Starfish shirt and take a picture with an Ecuadorian flag. If you are taking this picture in Ecuador you must take the picture with at least one person under the age of 5 or at least one person over the age of 65.
31. [58 points] Find 2 people who support different teams for the same sport. (ie, one Ravens fan, one Cowboys fan or one El Nacional fan and Barcelona Sporting Club fan). Both people must be wearing a jersey from the team they support. Have them compete in an arm-wrestling competition. Once a winner is determined, the loser must hold up a sign cheering for the other team. Collage your pictures – at least 1 of the arm-wrestling competition and 1 of the losing side holding up their sign.
32. [45 points] For Ecuadorians: Find a place that serves food from a European country. Ask the owner (or server) what their favorite dish is. Try it. Post a picture of you eating the food and caption it with the name of the food and whether or not you would recommend it.
For non-Ecuadorians: Find a place that serves food from a South American country. Ask the owner (or server) what their favorite dish is. Try it. Post a picture of you eating the food and caption it with the name of the food and whether or not you would recommend it.
33. [40 points] Wearing your Starfish shirt take a picture with a police officer, firefighter, EMT, or other emergency responder. You must both be giving the thumbs up sign.
34. [47 points] Put on a costume and bring happiness to a child or children with special needs (student submitted)
35. [47 points] Create a dress made entirely of recycled materials. Put it on and take of picture of in front of a busy market or shopping center. (Adapted from a student submission)
36. [47 points] Make a human pyramid with at least 5 people (student submitted)
37. [10 points] Eat a chili pepper (student submitted)
38. [19 points] Place 1 finger on the ground and spin around 6 times, and then try to kick a soccer ball into a goal. You must be wearing your Starfish shirt in this video. (student submitted)
39. [50 points] The bird represented on the Ecuadorian flag is the Andean Condor. Find out some interesting facts about the Condor and share them with a stranger. The video must be taken in either a mode of public transportation (bus, train, plane, etc) or in an elevator / on an escalator. You cannot know this person ahead of time.
40. [45 points] Throughout the hunt carry a trash bag and collect trash and recyclables as you go. Take a picture in the final 3 hours of the hunt with what you’ve collected, then make sure it ends up in the correct receptacles. Bonus points if you take the recyclables to a place they can be returned for cash and you donate the earnings to the Starfish Foundation.
41. [54 points] Donate blood while wearing dracula teeth.
42. [15 points] Watch a sunrise. Take a break and enjoy the moment.
43. [46 points] Colada morada is a traditional spiced berry drink prepared for the Day of the Dead celebrations in Ecuador. Make some and share it with a friend. Your friend must rate your drink in three categories: taste, appearance, and service. Have them write each down. Submit 2 pictures together – a picture of them drinking beverage as well as a picture of their scorecard. If you cannot find all of the ingredients, just make it as close to the original as you can.
44. [39 points] Find someone who has the same name as someone on the Starfish Board of directors. Take a picture of their ID. Be sure to block out the important info (their ID number and address) before uploading the picture.
45. [70 points] [Image or Video] Have a local newspaper or tv station mention The Starfish Foundation.
46. [68 points] [Video – 15 seconds] Have an octogenerian (someone who is at least 80 years old) teach you how to dance Swing or Sanjuanito.
47. [43 points] It’s Medieval Battle Time! Huzzah! You and a friend or loved one must dress up in your battle gear / armor made entirely of kitchen ware. Strike a dueling pose.
48. [56 points] Ask a child under the age of 10 what they want to be when they grow up. Take them to meet someone who has this profession.
49. [25 points] Find one grantmaking org or corporate foundation that is aligned with Starfish mission and share contact information with firstname.lastname@example.org. Upload a screenshot of your email.
50. [40 points] Ask someone (a person or a business) to donate an item we can use in the Starfish Benefit Dinner Auction. (If it is an individual this can be something they own, something they’re creating, or something they’re purchasing specifically to donate.) Submit a picture of your sent email, text, or letter or a picture of you asking in person. 10 bonus points if you make 3 or more asks. 25 bonus points if you get a response, before the end of the hunt, committing to donating something to the auction.
51. [10 points] Find our 1,000th follower! Our Instagram account is currently at 976 followers. Encourage your friends and family to follow the account (@starfishchange) and comment on the Benefit Dinner Save the Date post with your team’s name. (It was posted in the last week). Any team’s name who is in the comments will receive the points. If your person is follower number 1,000, you’ll receive an extra 10 points.