To all our Starfish friends and supporters:
As our year comes to a close, we are thankful we get to celebrate some of our favorite holidays! As you may have read in our previous posts, December is a big month in Ecuador. Some families spend the entire month decorating with lights, drinking hot chocolate and baking Pan de Pascua, playing with sparklers and enjoying the company of their loved ones.
As the holidays approach, we hope you take the opportunity to spend time with family and friends and enjoy yourself a little more than usual! Relax, unwind and take a little break. Make sure your holidays are filled with peace, good health, happiness and love!
We know this winter is off to a chilly start, so may we recommend a steaming cup of Ecuador’s traditional “chocolate caliente”? Everyone makes it differently, so here is one of our favorites.
• 1 liter whole milk
• 5 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
• 3 oz. dark chocolate, grated
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 cup strong coffee (may be omitted)
• Sugar, to taste
- Place whole milk in a heavy saucepan with a stick of cinnamon, and bring to just below the boiling point.
- Whisk in the five tablespoons of cocoa, the grated dark chocolate, and the coffee. Combine well and whisk until frothy.
- Serve in warm mugs with sugar on the side, one teaspoon or more to taste.
And as 2017 dawns, may the magic and the wonder of the holiday season stay with you throughout the coming year.
From the Starfish family to yours, thank you for your support and loyalty this year. We hope you have happy and safe holidays and a peaceful, blessed New Year!
All my best,